Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic Look a forum at Trail cafe. (Read 36232 times)
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Look a forum at Trail cafe.
11/15/06 at 06:29:21
Print Post  
We've added this forum to the Trail cafe web site. 

The primary goal is to get feedback on the site as I develop it.   however, the forum itself may be of interest to the  trail cafe community.  There are lots of good forums out there, for example www.myccr.com is a great canoing forum for canada.   Never-the-less, we've added a few high level boards here, feel free to use. 

If there are specific boards you'd like added, that are 'trail related', We are happy to add them at this time.  let me know what they are, and let me know if you are willing to moderate the board.   Boards that are good examples that will be added: 
    - Trail type board for a specific region. 
    - trail type board for a out doors club.
    - environmental concerns.

However,  as this site is under development, anay board may move around, or even dissapear! (proably by accident, or if I need to change software, security breach, etc).  So you get what you pay for, and since this service is free, you have no guarentee  of sevice.   But... we'll try.

Cheers,

Myrl.

admin
IP Logged

Myrl
Board Moderator

"Now, why didn't I think
o' thinkin' of that?!"-Ti

Forum update
Reply #1 - 01/19/07 at 06:04:25
Print Post  
Well,

The forum was originally setup so I could collect comments on the website, and incorporate changes, and anounce updates, etc.

However, This forum tool would then be way under utilized.  So I've been trying to figure it out, and make it in it self useful.   I've now added
  A Calander... so if you have events, get to gethers meetings, etc.  you can post them.
I've modified the board so it will now be able to handle sub categories.    So just ask if you want to discuss something.   

Added a General Board, for discussion of stuff that spans all the different trail types.   So far I've entered a few topics place holders that are near and dear to me.

Take care.

Myrl.

IP Logged

Myrl
Board Moderator

"Now, why didn't I think
o' thinkin' of that?!"-Ti

New Server
Reply #2 - 03/25/07 at 19:58:34
Print Post  
Well,  I've upgradded the server hardware.   We now have over 5x the RAM, 10x the Hard drive, and 5x the processor speed.   So the server is actually useful for a low usage web site. The biggest gains will be
  - forum  usage
  - uploading the trip reports with pictures.
The static pages were all fairly reasonable as it was.
It is not a PIII, 800MHz, 512MB RAM, with a 60GB harddrive. 

Thanks to my work place GD Canada, for providing it for free.

So I'm fairly pleased... Once I get an ISP what allows web servers to be run from home, then a bit of polish for the site, and I'm going to start adversing the site.  See if we can drive the membership count up to double digits.  Wink

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Sorry trail cafe was down a long time...
Reply #3 - 03/24/08 at 16:15:06
Print Post  
Well the whole site was down for a year!!!

After having my second child, in a sleep deprived state I made some changes to my firewall.  Then I forgot.  A week later with only a few horus sleep when I  noticed my site was down I spent a lot of time trying to fix it.  And failed. Angry

A year later while in opening another port in my firewall for another reason, I noticed my server IP address was off by one... sigh.  I'd assumed that it was my ISP causing me grief, and had resolved to move the site to an online server... someday when I could justify the cost.  After fixing  the firewall and all the DNS changes I'd made trying to fix it the first time... ta-da we are back on line Cool.

Yes I'm frustrated with the mistake.
« Last Edit: 04/06/08 at 05:25:58 by Myrl »  

admin
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint